24 May 2019

First Line Friday: A Modest Independence by Mimi Matthews



I've been off for a couple of weeks again. Today I am including the first line from the most recent chapter of the book I am currently reading. A Modest Independence is the second title in the Parish Orphans of Devon series set in the Victorian period by Mimi Matthews. 

This book is quite unusual for me to include here, because its not actually inspirational or religious fiction, but a General Market title. 

He Needed Peace…

Solicitor Tom Finchley has spent his life using his devious intellect to solve the problems of others. As for his own problems, they’re nothing that a bit of calculated vengeance can’t remedy. But that’s all over now. He’s finally ready to put the past behind him and settle down to a quiet, uncomplicated life. If only he could find an equally uncomplicated woman.

She Wanted Adventure…


Former lady’s companion Jenny Holloway has just been given a modest independence. Now, all she wants is a bit of adventure. A chance to see the world and experience life far outside the restrictive limits of Victorian England. If she can discover the fate of the missing Earl of Castleton while she’s at it, so much the better.

From the gaslit streets of London to the lush tea gardens of colonial India, Jenny and Tom embark on an epic quest—and an equally epic romance. But even at the farthest edges of the British Empire, the past has a way of catching up with you…


Today's First Line comes from Chapter 17. 





Don't Forget to Click the Link and Comment with Your Own First Line

Happy Weekend, and Happy Reading



9 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog I am sharing the first couple of lines from Becoming Us by Robin Jones Gunn: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/05/23/first-line-friday-88/. It’s the first book I’ve ever read by this author. So far I like it. I’m just getting into it, so I will share the first line from chapter 2 here.

    “I returned to the great room and saw Jennalyn standing next to the kitchen counter.”

    I hope you have a really great weekend. Happy reading! 🤗💜📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful story. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi Matthews has quickly become a favorite General Market historical fiction author for me. I'm also sharing from A Modest Independence by Mimi Matthews today. I'm not as far along in my reading, so here is the first line from Chapter 10:

    "Jenny stood on the deck of the Indus, watching the ancient city of Alexandria come into view."

    Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Snap! I've now finished the book and really liked it. The next one sounds like it might be good too.

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing the first line from Finding Beautiful by Rebecca Friedlander: “What would it look like to pack your bags and travel the world in search of true beauty?”

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/05/first-line-fridays-finding-beautiful-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Weekend! My first line is from "The Black Veil" by June Belfie:

    "Rebecca Gingerich rested her hands on the the deep milk-white sill of the kitchen window and peered out from the clapboard farmhouse she'd been born in nearly twenty-three years ago to the day."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mimi Matthews' writing, and this story especially!

    My first line this week comes from Flight of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse, but I'm also listening to Great Expectations by Charles Dickens in audio book format at the moment, so I'm going to share the first line from Chapter 51:

    What purpose I had in view when I was hot on tracing out and proving Estella's parentage, I cannot say.

    Have a great weekend!

    https://fictionaficionado.com/first-line-friday-flight-of-the-raven/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an arc of Flight of the Raven. Looking forward to it. I also have a copy of Great Expectations on my shelf somewhere, and good intentions to read it. Who knows if that will ever translate into action.

      Delete
  7. Sorry I'm a little late coming around this weekend! The book I shared on my blog this week is Vigilant by Sara Davison but it's also the book I'm currently reading so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (22) here: "Daniel stared at the computer screen like he'd been doing for hours, his mind racing." Hope you have a wonderful weekend with plenty of quality reading time! :)

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...