10 Mar 2019

The Butterfly Bride by Vanessa Riley Review

Advertisements for Love #3 
401 Pages, October 22nd 2018, Entangled Publishing 

Genre: Historical Fiction
Setting: London and English Countryside, early 1800s,

Frederica Burghley wants to be married by Yuletide. Or else her father will set her up with one of his friends. The bonbon-loving illegitimate daughter of the duke wants to choose her own husband. Advertising in the newspaper seems like the way to go. But a sinister response, with threats against her life, leads her to enlist the help of her very handsome, dear friend Jasper Fitzwilliam, Lord Hartwell.

A father and widower, Jasper is not only tasked with keeping Frederica safe but also with helping his vibrant friend choose a suitable husband. The more he tries to keep the ever-surprising woman alive and find her a good match, the more Jasper realizes he cares for her. The two friends risk their lives for each other, so they should be able to risk their feelings for a chance at a deep and true love together. But he's not looking for marriage and she's not looking for convenience.

 My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐



Vanessa Riley is another new author for me, and I rather liked the unusual storyline of an interracial romance which features in a lot of her stories. The resemblance between the couple on the cover and Harry and Meghan has not gone unnoticed.

So whilst I liked this story for the most part, the lower rating results from two things. First three were a lot of Americanisms, more even than usual in books like this and it felt a bit jarring. Secondly i did not care for some of the romantic content. Pages of touching and kissing. I can take some romantic heart, but I just didn't care for way the scenes were written or the length. They felt a little overdone, even perhaps contrived.

I would be interested in reading more but this author. I just wasn't hugely keen on this one.

Thanks to Entangled Publishing and Netgalley for granting my request to read this book. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...