2 Nov 2018

First Line Fridays #41: Loving Luther by Allison Pittman




Since Reformation day has just gone by, I thought the subject matter of this book seemed Apt. If I had not already read Fawkes by Nadine Brandes I would share that in honor of the upcoming Guy Fawkes night.
I requested this novel on Netgalley shortly after it was released, but like some other titles on there its been waiting over a year and I've not yet got around to reading it. I need to now.
 

Now, I am going to admit, I don't know an awful lot about Katherine von Bora, the former nun who became wife of Martin Luther.
I am a child of English Reformation, so I'm more familiar with the stories of Anne Boleyn, William Tyndale, Jane Grey and Thomas Cranmer, Henry VIII and Bloody Mary then Luther, Calvin or other European reformers.

 I did read another novel about the relationship between Luther and Katherine/Katherina, but I was not very impressed with it, and you know what I'm like. I try to avoid 'learning'  history from Fiction, so I would have to seek out a non-fiction title for that.

In the dark of night, Katharina von Bora says the bravest good-bye a six-year-old can muster and walks away as the heavy convent gate closes behind her.

Though the cold walls offer no comfort, Katharina soon finds herself calling the convent her home. God, her father. This, her life. She takes her vows--a choice more practical than pious--but in time, a seed of discontent is planted by the smuggled writings of a rebellious excommunicated priest named Martin Luther. Their message? That Katharina is subject to God, and no one else. Could the Lord truly desire more for her than this life of servitude?

In her first true step of faith, Katharina leaves the only life she has ever known. But the freedom she has craved comes with a price, and she finds she has traded one life of isolation for another. Without the security of the convent walls or a family of her own, Katharina must trust in both the God who saved her and the man who paved a way for rescue. Luther's friends are quick to offer shelter, but Katharina longs for all Luther has promised: a home, a husband, perhaps even the chance to fall in love

The First Line Reads: 

 "My father always told me if I never took a sip of wine, I’d never shed a single tear" 




Don't forget to click the Meme to see what other members are reading, and comment with your own first line. 
 
https://hoardingbooksblog.wordpress.com/category/first-line-fridays/
 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! This week on my blog I'm featuring Everything She Didn't Say by Jane Kirkpatrick but it's also the book I'm currently reading so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (13) here: "Doing what I haven't ever done before has become a kind of purpose for me." Hope you have a great weekend with plenty of quality reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday! My first line is from “Oceans Apart” by Clare Revell, included in the set “Somewhere Beyond the Blue”:

    “Oliver Voight checked his passport for the third time.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!
    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first line from An Hour Unspent by Roseanna White. Currently, I'm reading The Cumberland Bride by Shannon McNear. This book is SO good, I'm absolutely loving it. I'm on chapter 28, so I'll share a line from there:

    "The women came for her very shortly after, and while leading her off, they shooed Crying Bird away."

    Hope you have an amazing weekend filled with great reading time! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ“š

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday! I'm sharing from my current read, Temptation Rag by Elizabeth Hutchison Bernard. Here is a line from the top of page 9:

    "She thought she would never tire of watching him at the piano, his fingers caressing the keys, a look of such tenderness on his face as if he would gladly die for each and every note."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing first line (although I'm not so sure about the cover). I'll be interested in reading your review.

    And I hear you on Fawkes! It seems to me it should have been released this week, not back in July.

    I'm featuring Pathway to Peace by Elizabeth Maddrey on my blog, and I've just picked up That's When I Knew by Laurie Tomlinson. Here's the first line:

    "Bless her heart. Chelsea Scott's sales director had no idea what she was getting them into."

    I'm guessing this is that Southern meaning of "bless her heart" which means anything but!

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...