Monday, May 20, 2013

It's Monday, what are you (and I) reading?

Yes, its that time of the week again and my second entry into this meme? contest? Whatever it may be called hosted courtesy of Shiela at BookJourney.com.




This week I've had a little more time on my hands for reading (having had the last of my exams), so was finally able to finish The Tainted Coin: The Fifth Chronicle of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon by Mel Starr which also happens to be the last in the series of Medieval Mysteries  (well at least until the next title comes out in September) featuring the sleuthing surgeon of Oxfordshire. Which is a county in the South of England for all the non-Brits out there.

"It is the autumn of 1367. Master Hugh is enjoying the peaceful life of Bampton, when a badly beaten man is found under the porch of St. Andrew's Chapel. The dying man is a chapman -- a traveling merchant. Before he is buried in the chapel grounds an ancient, corroded coin is found in the man's mouth. Master Hugh's quest for the chapman's assailants, and his search for the origin of the coin, makes steady progress – but there are men of wealth and power who wish to halt his search, and an old nemesis, Sir Simon Trillowe, is in league with them. But Master Hugh, and his assistant, the groom Arthur, are determined to uncover the thieves and murderers, and the source of the chapman's coin. They do, but not before they become involved with a kidnapped maiden, a tyrannical abbot, and a suffering monk – who needs Master Hugh's surgical skills and in return provides clues which assist Hugh in solving the mystery of the tainted coin."

What did I think? Well I haven't written a review yet, but I gave the book 3.5 stars.  I liked it, especially since it featured a horde of Roman treasure,  but not so much as the last I read, and it is a good story- but some of the plot devices and scenarios do seem to be getting a little stretched and repetitive perhaps by overuse. Still, it it well worth a read if you want something clean. The only concern from a religious angle is Hugh's tendency to be dishonest when he thinks it serves his ends... 

So what to read Next? 

So what to read next in the Christian Historical Genre? With the series above all over and done with, I will most likely pick one of these two from my to-read list.  

Choices of the Heart by Laurie Alice Eakes, the last in a Trilogy and set in 19th century Virginia. Its not a place or period I'm hugely familiar with, but maybe I should take a break and step outside my Medieval comfort zone for a while.
"Esther Cherrett comes from a proud line of midwives and was trained by her mother to take over the family calling. But when a scandal threatens all she holds dear, Esther takes a position as a teacher in the western mountains of Virginia instead. 
There she finds herself in the midst of a deadly family feud and courted by two men on opposite sides of the conflict. When it seems as though her past has followed her all the way into the mountains, all she wants is to run away again.
In this gripping story of trust, deception, and bittersweet loss, a young woman learns the true meaning of choices of the heart."
Of course, firmly inside said comfort zone would be my other choice I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince by Rosanne E Lortz. I've had this one for a while (over a year I think) so its about time I finally got around to reading it. Its set in the time of the Hundred Years War, spans England and France and has an English hero (and a French one too), which is something I like considering how we English too often get typecast as bad guys.

"A Tale of ARMS, of DEATH, of LOVE, and of HONOR Set against the turbulent backdrop of the Hundred Years' War, I Serve chronicles the story of Sir John Potenhale. A young Englishman of lowly birth, Potenhale wins his way to knighthood on the fields of France. He enters the service of Edward, the Black Prince of Wales, and immerses himself in a stormy world of war, politics, and romantic intrigue. While campaigning in France, Potenhale develops an interest in Margery, a spirited lady-in-waiting with a close-kept secret. He soon learns that Sir Thomas Holland, a crass and calculating baron, holds the key to unlock Margery's mystery and possesses the power to overturn all of his hopes. 
When the Black Death strikes Europe, however, Potenhale realizes that the fiercest enemy does not always appear in human form. Seeing the pestilence as a punishment for the sins of his generation, he questions his calling as a knight and considers entering the cloister. Margery or the monastery? Torn between losing his soul and losing the love of his life, he finds friendship with a French knight who might-just possibly-help him save both."

As to which to read first? Still undecided. 

4 comments:

  1. Some great books there a few of which I've added to my tbr pile so thank you. Hope you have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks fir visting.

      The 'Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton' are certainly worth a read.
      Though I must say that I go them from the library, and as good as they were, I'm not sure if I would buy them for myself.

      Chose the first but really must get around to reading 'I serve' in the near future...

      Delete
  2. Those look like good books. I'm currently reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose thanks for visiting.

      I've never read anything by Stephanie Meyer. The Vampire fiction craze is not something I'm interested in at all.



      Delete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...