Sunday, September 23, 2012

One is very impressed...

Updated post from my original site. I recently won a paperback edition of this novel in a competition on a blog called 'Fly High' in which the author placed a guest post. Thanks to Maria of fly high and Roseanne Lortz for getting it out to me in little old England from America! 

Anyhow, here is the original post, sorry if it is a bit repetitive. 

Yes I know, this pedantic medievalist in the making is not often easily impressed where some historical fiction is concerned,  but the methodology and approach to historical material of this novelist Rosanne E Lortz gets my full seal of approval. She states that she has a 'love of historical research and primary sources'.

The latter are very much the cornerstone of much scholarly historical study and research which many Historians are, to a varying extent, dependent upon. Mrs Lortz cites a number of primary sources, or works heavily based on primary sources in the 'bibliography' of her book 'I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince'.

The synopsis of the book summarises it thus "A tale of arms, of death, of love, and of honor. Set against the turbulent backdrop of the Hundred Years' War, I Serve chronicles the story of Sir John Potenhale. A young Englishman of lowly birth, Potenhale wins his way to knighthood on the fields of France. He enters the service of Edward, the Black Prince of Wales, and immerses himself in a stormy world of war, politics, and romantic intrigue. "

Though I have not even started reading the book yet, and it is not at the front of my 'to- read' (well nearer than it was when I originally wrote the post) list I did 'flick'through the Kindle Edition when I first purchased it. The author appears to not only know her stuff factually and historically, but also on a more personal level. By this I mean that she seems to understand and appreciate the values, attitudes and beliefs of people from the past, even if these were vastly different from our own, instead of seeking to impose anachronistic modern values and standards in their place.

Factual accuracy is important enough, and is relatively  easy to achieve in a novel, but not every writer of historical fiction is able to take the past on its own terms, and learn to see things the way that people living at a given time would have seen them, rather than judging them according to modern standards and expectations. Rosanne E Lortz is thankfully one of these few who has a real understanding and what I define as a sense of history. Which is why even after a quick preliminary reading of some parts of her novel I have come away impressed and distinctly satisfied.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to add it to my lengthy TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes my TBR list is also very long indeed. I hope you might visit again soon and find my little blog at least interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definitely. I don't write medieval, but I do love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes so do I- I have so many on my shelf and in my TBR list I keep telling myself to get through them before I get anymore- and then I buy another 'un. Both fiction and non-fiction alike a just love that period.

    BTW does your blog get flooded with unapproved Spam or is it just an affliction unique to me?

    ReplyDelete

I like to hear from readers, so feel free to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...